Saturday, January 28, 2017

How about a bowl of soup?

My hubby loves Broccoli cheese soup, so when a recipe for broccoli cheese soup came across pinterest, I decided to try it out. But then I read all kinds of recipes and kinda just threw the basics together and came up with this version....
Of course my stupid albertsons did not have bread bowls, UGH, I hate that store but it is at the corner of my block and I am fighting with getting over my cold and did not want to drive across town to another store.
So I grabbed the ingredients and a loaf of french bread and whipped up a pot of soup, OH MY, it was soooooo good! And I served it with hot french bread which made it even more scrumptious!

Give it a whirl on a winters night, you won't be disappointed!




Broccoli Cheese Soup:

INGREDIENTS:

    • 1 tablespoon melted butter
    • 1/2 medium chopped onion
    • 1/4 cup melted butter
    • 1/4 cup flour
    • 2 cups milk
    • 4 cups chicken stock or 1 32oz box
    • 3 cups fresh broccoli diced
    • 1 cup carrot, diced
    • 2 stalks celery diced
    • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
    • salt and pepper
    • crusty bread

Directions:

  1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion in hot butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
  2. Whisk 1/4 cup melted butter and flour together in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; cook until flour loses it's granular texture, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if necessary to keep the flour from burning, 3 to 4 minutes.
  3. Gradually pour milk into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken stock into milk mixture.  Add broccoli, carrots, sauteed onion, and celery; and spices, simmer until vegetables are tender, I simmered for about 45 minutes, 
  4. Stir in cheddar cheese until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Serve in sourdough bread bowls, if you can find them at your store, top with some cheese and scallions. Or serve with french bread and butter!
  6. So warm and cozy and yummy!

AND I made another hat while I waited for my soup to cook! Well, it actually takes a couple days to finish a hat but I worked on it while the soup cooked!
It was made with Red Heart Waves Yarn, I loved the colors so I grabbed the yarn and made the slouchy beanie from the Red Heart website, it was easy and the wavy yarn makes the brim look all wavy and cool....Such a cute hat and soft and comfy too!!
ENJOY!!!

No comments: