Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Herbs De Casa Deguevara

I have been wanting to grow my own herbs since I started cooking with fresh ingredients, they are so expensive in the store, 3.99 for a bunch and then I only need a little snippet from them and then they sit in the fridge and rot! Ugh!

But I do not have a green thumb, my sister can grow the Sistine Chapel from a Lima bean, but not me, I missed that gene from the gene pool of life.

But I did a little research and this should work, as long as I remember to water them, they are sitting on my windowsill above where I do the dishes, how can I forget? We will see how well I do, keep your fingers crossed for these poor helpless herbs that have fallen under my care!

Here is what I did, I bought mason jars, pebbles, soil, and herbs already on there way to growing.
Put a layer of rock on the bottom of each jar added some soil and the herbs, then a layer of rock around the top and watered well.

I have Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, Parsley.




Good Luck Little Buddies!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Grow, Herbie, Grow! I hope your younguns grow up big and strong!

My Garden Diaries said...

You are so right!!! They always go to waste and they cost a fortune! I grow them here in the summer but this is awesome for the cold months here! Thank you for this fantastic idea!!! I love it!!! And mason jars...just perfect!!!!!! Pinning!

Mary said...

It will work! As long as you keep cutting them, they will keep putting out new leaves. If they get overgrown and too bushy, just trim them back. Even if you don't use them, you can dry them. Tie their little stems together and hang them up-side-down until they get crispy. Then put them into an airtight container. You're doing great!