Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Grilled french toast

We had the best breakfast dishes at the Hilton in Del Mar, I just had to come home and re-create the french toast! Here is how you get it done:

2 slices whole wheat bread
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fast cook oatmeal
butter- about 2 tablespoons
banana-sliced
warmed maple syrup

Mix the eggs and milk in a shallow dish, put oats in another shallow dish, I use pie dishes for these steps.
Heat the butter on medium in a large non stick pan, also heat your syrup in a sauce pan, warmed syrup makes the dish fabulous! Now dip your bread in the egg mix a couple times to coat really well, then dip in the oats to coat both sides and add to frying pan, cook breads until nicely browned and cooked through. Plate them and top with fruit and warm syrup. The Hilton had bananas and blueberries and strawberries, I only had bananas this morning but WOW, the oat coating really adds something to this dish! Plus using whole wheat bread and fresh fruit sorta makes it healthy, haha!
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Looks delicious, Chica...one for when I'm off the diet - thanks for the recipe. Happy Tuesday - ME

Mary said...

I'm not an oats fan, unless they are in oatmeal raisin cookies, but this looks amazing! I may just have to try it in Mary's Diner one morning! Thanks!

Colleen said...

Looks great but I might as well put right on my tummy or thighs!!!!!

Tanya said...

WHAT tummy and thighs???????? Eat a sandwich, would ya'...no one likes that, Colleen! :-)