Friday, May 25, 2012

Chicken Fricassee Jackie style!

picture zuccini instead of mushrooms! no peas!
Ok, I was at the end of the week and low on supplies, but I really wanted to make this recipe I saw on americas test kitchen, I record this show and watch it to learn about cooking and tools and much much more, they test and try recipes and kitchen gadgets and let you know which works the best, nothing is endorsed so you can feel confident in their findings! I highly recommend it for the budding cook!
Chicken fricassee, a chicken and mushroom wine cream sauce fabulous type of  dish...they made it simple and easy, you can whip it up in 1/2 hour!

So now on to the reason we need to change the name, I had no mushrooms and no sour cream!! Eeeek!
Thats ok, I had milk and a zuccini! Let's make this dish Jackie's Zuccini Fricassee!!

2 chicken breasts salt and pepper
olive oil and butter 1 tablespoon each
1 zuccini chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (or mushrooms)
1/4 onion diced
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 clove minced garlic
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon parsley chopped
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Put the olive oil and butter in a pan, heat on med-high, add chicken breasts that have been seasoned with salt and pepper, and brown each side 5 minutes each. Remove from pan, add onion and zuccini and wine to pan, cook on med for about 10 to 15 minutes until reduced and nicely softened and browned. Add garlic and vegetable broth and flour, mix well, turn down to simmer and add chicken back in and cover for 10 minutes until breasts register 160 degrees. Remove only the chicken to a platter, now remove 1/2 cup of the sauce and put in a bowl, add milk, egg yolk, lemon juice, parsley, cornstarch, whisk real good and add back to the pan and heat until thick and bubbly about 3 minutes! Pour sauce over chicken and devour!!

Here is a tip: I buy the little 4 pack of sutter home chardonnay wines, they are perfect to keep in the fridge when you need to add wine to a recipe, you can also get red wine as well! that way you do not have to open a whole bottle of wine just for a 1/2 cup of wine for a recipe!
Mini bottles!

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Looks good, Chica! I also buy those 4 pack wine bottles and they aren't bad at all!

Hope you enjoyed it!

Mary said...

Looks good. The only thing I'd mention is that you HAVE to open a whole bottle of wine! It's not just for half a cup, it's for several glasses! ;)

(One of my favorite sayings: I always use wine when I cook - sometimes I even put it in the food!)

Tanya said...

Mary's right, you know - to hell with those stupid tiny bottles...open a REAL bottle. Jackie Style ROCKS! Will try this soon.

Ronna said...

Keep your recipes coming on your blog! I don't have the time to always watch a food show on TV, so your recipes are short enough for me to read and learn about. Great tip about the 4-pack mini wine! Who knows, I may need a recipe to cook for a male guest...