Thursday, May 24, 2012

Broccoli Enhanced!

I bbq'ed some chicken legs for a quick dinner, and was going to just saute up some broccoli with butter and salt and pepper, but I had some time so I thought let's go see what allrecipes.com can do with broccoli...I found this quick and easy sauce to put on the broccoli, I did not serve cold but warm, wow, very tasty..if you love lemon and garlic which I could live the rest of my life eating, you must give it a whirl to enhance your broccoli dining experience!
I whipped it up while the chicken finished cooking in it's last 10 minutes, made the broccoli very flavorful!
Enjoy!
Easy Broccoli Salad
recipe image
Rated: rating
Submitted By: Chef John
Photo By: landcruisers
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Ready In: 50 Minutes
Servings: 4
"This simple broccoli salad kicks up ordinary broccoli with some lemon and red pepper flakes."
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
3 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 pinch salt and ground black pepper, or
to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
Directions:
1.Trim bottoms of broccoli stems and cut off broccoli heads; cut the broccoli heads into quarters. Peel broccoli stems and cut into quarters crosswise.
2.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; reduce heat to medium and cook broccoli until tender when cut with a paring knife but still slightly firm, 5 to 6 minutes.
3.Transfer broccoli to a large bowl filled with cold water and chill to stop the cooking process. Drain well. Arrange broccoli in a colander with the florets facing down towards the holes of the colander and allow broccoli to drip for at least 30 minutes.
4.Whisk together garlic, lemon juice, rice vinegar, Dijon mustard, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper together in a large serving bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking rapidly until the dressing is thick and creamy. Adjust salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
5.Toss broccoli with the dressing; let stand 5 to 10 minutes to marinate, then toss again. Can be refrigerated up to an hour if you want to serve the salad cold.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

The salad sounds terrific so I may try it! So, I guess you haven't completely gone vegetarian, right? I couldn't do it and neither can you!!!

Tanya said...

If I liked broccoli, this would probably rock...hey, my family LOVES broccoli and would probably LOVE this - thanks for the recipe!!!

Mary said...

Always looking for some way to make broccoli more palatable! I may just give this one a try!