Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I am on a cooking jag!

I cook most when my husband is not around, he has been helping James get his race car ready for testing this Saturday and has been working at the race shop with him the past 2 weeks. I have been supportive and cooked for them and done as much as I can, but not much a girl like me can do around race cars, plus the noise and grease and fiberglass can be murder on a girlie girl like me! hee-hee!

 Cooking is sweet therapy for me, it keeps you busy and you don't have time to think about being alone. Also, it is cheaper than therapy and cheaper than being on the Internet shopping!!

So, this morning I cooked my dinner, Cajun Chicken Pasta from The Pioneer Woman Blog. It is so much better when you make it early than come home and reheat it, the flavors are explosive, my favorite pasta in the whole wide world! Wait, I forgot about my brown butter raviolis, OK could be a tie there! I will share that recipe one weekend when hubby is off racing and I get on a cooking jag again!
So far today, I made my pasta in the morning, went to work, came home, did a 40 minute 400 calorie burn on the treadmill, than opened a bottle of Riesling (it is wine Wednesday, you know) and proceeded to make lemon meyer pudding cakes while reheating my Cajun pasta! Oh it is a good night in my kitchen!
My mom loved meyer lemons, she collected a lot of lemon items, this month is the anniversary of her death last year. my sister who gets her produce delivered to her home (the perks of California living) had a bunch of meyer lemons delivered but she did not know what to do with them and they perished, so these lemons have been on my mind lately. As I went shopping last week, I saw a bag of them sitting in the produce section and I could not resist, I had to make something with them!!

So here you go Lemon Meyer Pudding Cakes:

Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes

by


A very easy, but elegant dessert! Meyer lemons are best, but regular lemons can be used, also.
¼ cups Flour



⅓ cups Sugar

¼ teaspoons Salt

2 -3 Meyer Lemons

3 whole Large Eggs, Separated

2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted And Cooled

1 cup Milk

¼ cups Sugar, Plus Additional For Ramekins


Preparation Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease eight 4- to 5-ounce ramekins; sprinkle with sugar to coat the bottoms and sides of the ramekins. Shake out any excess sugar.
In a small bowl, whisk flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt. Set aside.
Grate 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon peel and squeeze 1/2 cup juice. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks and lemon peel and juice. Whisk in butter and milk. Gradually whisk in flour mixture.
In another large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add one-third of the beaten whites to the yolk mixture and, with rubber spatula, stir gently until incorporated. Gently fold in remaining whites until just incorporated. With a ladle, divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins.
Arrange ramekins 1 inch apart in a large (17-inch by 13-inch) roasting pan. Fill pan with enough hot water to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Carefully transfer pan to oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cakes are golden brown and tops rise 1/2 inch above rims. Then, remove them from the oven.
Cool cakes in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. With a sturdy metal spatula, carefully remove ramekins from the water filled roasting pan and transfer ramekins to a wire rack to cool to room temperture, then cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve, then invert on a plate and
garnish.

Here are mine, they come out so interesting, once you invert them you have a cake on the bottom but then there is custard on the top!

In the warm bath getting all puffy!

After you invert them and add garnish! Beautiful Dessert!

 

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Ohhhh, CHICA!!! These are BEAUTIFUL, and my mouth is watering - I love lemon ANYTHING. I need to go buy some ramekins tomorrow, and then I will be making this, myself! You've got the best recipes...fabulous Twinkie Cupcakes...chicken...and now THIS!!! You ROCK, girl - you rock...ME

Colleen said...

I love both articles on the cooking stuff & when I have some time off, I will try them!

My Garden Diaries said...

OH my goodness! You are a girl after my own heart!!!!! I absolutely hands down love lemon desserts and these look AMAZING!!!! I so must try them!!! This was meant to be because I was looking to bake something new this weekend! Wonderful blog you have here lady...I am a new follower!!!!