Sunday, December 4, 2016

Wintertime, soups and crafts...

Almost winter in the desert, the air is really cold and crisp, I am wearing my scarves and boots and sweaters. Making lots of soup and keeping busy in my craft room.
I wonder if we will get snow this year??? So Fun!
I love to make the copy cat version of Olive Gardens Minestrone soup, so good!


Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed green beans
  • 1/2 cup zucchini, sliced
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cans (15-ounces) red kidney beans, drained
  • 2 cans (15-ounces) great northern or small white beans, drained
  • 1 (15-ounces) can tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons minced parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3 cups hot water
  • 4 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup small shell pasta

Instructions
  1. Measure olive oil into a large stock pot and heat on medium.
     
  2. Put the onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini into the pot and saute for about 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent.
     
  3. Add the vegetable broth, drained tomatoes, beans, carrots, hot water and spices to the pot.
     
  4. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
     
  5. Add the spinach leaves and the pasta and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
I usually serve with salad and garlic bread. Yummy!

I have been busy making Christmas gifts, and cards:

I made this bingo cup for a bingo friend I play with, so fun, made it with the Cricut!


I love this fun card, made with Lawn Fawns gingerbread men:
Cracks me up!
Hope you are enjoying the cool weather and making fun stuff, summer will be here before you know it! 

1 comment:

Hindustanka said...

hehe, such a fun card indeed :)

Soup looks yumm, but so many ingredients - I am not up to <lol. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks like Russian borsch.

I wish you to have a snowy Christmas this year :) enjoy your days!