Sunday, March 13, 2016

#51 and Blackened Fish Tacos

4f3c928988e7cc7ecddbef01e5985d01.jpg (487×640)
HOW IS THAT FOR A BIRTHDAY CAKE!
(found on pinterest)
A little birthday advice:
I have learned that fish does not have to be fishy, and if you open your mind and try new things, you will find a whole new world out there to be discovered.

It took me a long time to get to this point, I did not start to cook like a real cook/chef until my forties, and now in my fifties, I am getting pretty good!

I also did not start to really travel until my 40's and now I have been to many countries and found I really enjoy travelling!

Never limit yourself. Keep learning and trying new things. Age is a number not a place. I keep taking classes to learn new things and I will continue until my 100's!

So on my 51st birthday I just wanted to give a little advice....Get out there and enjoy life! Do something you never done, try a new food, you may discover you really like it, like these:

Blackened fish tacos:

Tilapia about 5 fillets
1 teaspoon of each smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, cumin, salt, brown sugar, cayenne pepper.
Place fish in a plastic bag and dump in the spices, mix and shake all around to coat the fish, put in fridge for an hour or 2.

12 corn tortillas (I now make my own and it is so fast and easy now)

Some veggie oil to fry up the fish, just enough to coat the grill pan or skillet, which ever you have.

For the taco lettuce:
1/2 head of lettuce or cabbage, we like lettuce in this family. slice into thins strips add 1/2 diced onion, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, juice of 1 lime, mix all in a bowl and let marinate in fridge for an hour.

For the Sauce:
1/2 cup sour cream or mexican crema
1 ripe avocado
1/4 cup cilantro
juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon salt
1 jalapeno chopped and seeded
Put all in a blender or food processor and blend to make a sauce.

When ready to eat, fry up your fish on a nery hot pan, I use a grill pan, let them get nice and blackened, about 4 minutes per side, they cook fast!
Then chop into bite size portions, heat tortillas on a grill or flat top.

To serve the tacos, place some fish in a tortilla add the lettuce mix, and some sauce on top, and some queso fresco shredded cheese (or jack cheese) amazing flavors and so delicious, my hubby devoured these! Sour cream, onion, cilantro, fish, and all!! We all know how picky he is and he loved these!!!

Great summer dish and great new addition to taco tuesday!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Awesome birthday cake! Happy birthday and keep exploring the world!