Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ice Cream!

I don't normally eat Ice Cream because I get tummy aches, but I have found pure (expensive) or clean (vegan)  or homemade is usually fine in small doses. My hubby loves the stuff and since my goal in life is to make him happy 24/7, ( because a happy hubby is a happy life)
I bought the Ice Cream attachment for my kitchen aid mixer...how flipping cool is that?


KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment - Your Family Will Love This


I watched lots of YouTube videos on using it and getting recipes collected.
I decided to try a very easy recipe my first go round with it:
I chose Patricia's gelato recipe from ButterYum, find her here : www.butteryum.blogspot.com

Rich Dark Chocolate Gelato (Cioccolato Scuro e Ricco Gelato)
3 cups whole milk, divided
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of fine salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup of milk, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.  In a large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, bring the remaining 2 cups of milk just below the boiling point (bubbles will appear around the edges of the pan).  Add the cocoa mixture to the hot milk and continue to heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (about 10 minutes).  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.  Allow mixture to cool, then transfer to an airtight container and chill overnight.  Process in your ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.  Transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer.  Soften at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.  Makes 1 quart.  Base can be made up to 5 days before processing in an ice cream machine. 
Thank you Patricia for an easy and delicious recipe!

Wow it was amazing!! And delicious and I did not get a tummy ache!
Here is my churner at work:

I like that this recipe made just 24 oz of gelato, a nice little portion for me and hubby to snack on! That container is about 6 inches long and 3 inches high.
The whole process of making ice cream at home is kinda long, you have to freeze the bowl for 24 hours, ( I just keep it in the freezer all the time) then you cook the ingredients and put in a mason jar and chill over night, or I just kept shaking it and setting it in the freezer and checking on it, once the ingredients were really cold, 40* I was able to add to the freezer bowl, turn the mixer on and it stirs for 20 minutes on low. After it turns to thick creamy ice cream put it in air tight container and put back in freezer until really cold maybe 2 hours...but then you have it....your own homemade ice cream that is rich and delicious and not filled with chemicals!
I am going to make vanilla bean next, then a butter pecan! YUM!!

1 comment:

Colleen Mcgraw said...

sounds and looks great! My daughter makes the vanilla coffee bean and says it's out of this world